Venomous snakes do not always inject venom when biting, however due to the high toxicity of the venom of this species, it is vital that first aid is performed immediately (Constrictive bandage etc) and the patient is taken immediately to hospital. Lack of symptoms may not mean that the victim has not been envenomated.
Correct and immediate first aid and treatment for this species and other dangerous snakes increases the chance of survival.
Although people are commonly bitten by dangerous snakes in Australia, the actual number of deaths is actually very low, due to antivenines and medical procedures.
Black snake bites can be extremely unpleasant sometimes, and although the venom is less toxic than many other dangerous Australian snakes, bites should definitely be treated as life threatening with the same urgency as other dangerous snakes.
Tiger Snake antivenine is now often used to treat Black snake bites.
The Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) may be confused with the Blue-bellied Black Snake which is a naturally occurring colour phase of the Spotted Black Snake (Pseudechis guttatus) as well as the Eastern Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) which often has a pink or reddish belly pattern.